Spoiled.
This morning I went to the choir practice for church. It was the kind of thing where you come if you think you can sing. Well... I love to sing and since this is God's gift that He's been so gracious to give to me, I need to use for Him as best I can. and I had heard they needed singers at church. So, I went.
While all the voice were great. I still found myself cringing up.
Most of y'all know that me and Brandon sing in a community choir. Singing there has been one of the best things ever. But. We are also there to sing perfectly (or as best we can) to learn everything the right way. The main purpose of choir really isn't to Praise God. Its to work on our songs and get them as good as they can be before the concert and the competition.
So being at the practice today was different. Being told totally different things to do than Mr. Shive (choir director) tells us to do. It was weird. I guess Choir has just spoiled me.
Sometimes we would sing the vowel sounds totally "wrong" and because I've been trained not to sing like that, I cringe at the sound.
But....
I got to thinking (with some help of a friend of mine.) A while back I posted something my friend said:
""know it's hard when you've been trained in singing, and music and how sometimes it can distract you. It does the same for me sometimes. I think that this is an area to grow in. I think that a person really passionate about worshiping God is able to hear beyond the 'terrible' music and worship God with their whole heart. Doesn't the Bible say to make a joyful 'noise' unto the Lord? God's not worried about who can play an instrument well, or how well someone can mix. He's looking at our hearts. So I think this is something to pray about, that God would give us a great passion to worship Him and that that would be our main focus."
Yes, in the church choir we are striving to do our best, right? and that's all God asks, is to make a joyful 'noise.'
It is really hard for me though. I want soo much not to be so critical of every song I hear, but that's how I've been trained since I was in 3rd grade. So its a hard habit to break.
This might not make a bit of sense... I guess I'll wait and find out if it does =P
But. Would guys pray for me in this? Also. Pray that in choir, while I am there to do my best, I'm there to do my Best for God. Not for Mr. Shive, not for the good of the choir, but for God. I rarely ever think about God at choir. I used to. But I think I let choir be too much of an escape from everything else that was going on. I just relaxed and didn't think about anything except singing well. Even though most of our songs are about Jesus, I rarely ever sing it as praise to Him. (it is kinda hard while stopping and starting it but that's not an excuse.) So, would y'all pray for that as well? Just to help me remember that at choir.
But. Would guys pray for me in this? Also. Pray that in choir, while I am there to do my best, I'm there to do my Best for God. Not for Mr. Shive, not for the good of the choir, but for God. I rarely ever think about God at choir. I used to. But I think I let choir be too much of an escape from everything else that was going on. I just relaxed and didn't think about anything except singing well. Even though most of our songs are about Jesus, I rarely ever sing it as praise to Him. (it is kinda hard while stopping and starting it but that's not an excuse.) So, would y'all pray for that as well? Just to help me remember that at choir.
I think this also goes along with the Worldliness book. About loving music too much. Maybe I love music excellence too much. But, Thank God He revealed this to me... and also for Great Friends. =)
Comments