Oh boy is it hard.

The is the most Biblicaly accurate book I've ever read half a chapter from. =P (or ever will have read for that matter, as I have not read it yet)
There is this little book called "worldliness" and I didn't even read half of one chapter and I'm already seeing things in my life that I need to change.
Example.
"Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving." Ephesians 5:4
I never knew it said not to joke about crude things, not that I do it all the time its more with the movies I would watch. One of my favorite movies was Robinhood: Men in Tights. 85% of that movie is crude joking. And its funny, but not in a godly way, in a sinful way.
Tell me if this doesn't make sense, but when it says:
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Philippians 4:8.
Wouldn't that apply to everything we do? Listening to music. Watching movies/TV. Reading books. I (well me and Brandon both) read Ephesians 5:4 the night before we watched Robinhood men in tights, and we both just lost interest in most of the movie. I have no desire to even watch it again. Another movie, The Matrix, every other word is foul language. In Worldliness it explains that when we repeatedly subject ourselves to unwholesome talk and bad language, soon we become numb to words that we normally wouldn't tolerate. And sometimes (speaking by experience.) you might start to use some occasionally. My excuse was always, "There isn't any other word to describe it." yes there is. I don't have to say a word that means I'm angry. I only need to say I'm angry to convey my point.
Anyway back to the Matrix. There is alot of other stuff in it too that is totally not necessary. And to me this isn't a big deal to give up, sense I think the matrix is stupid anyway.
Music.....
Most of you know how much I love music.
Well, like I said before I didn't even read half the chapter in Worldliness about this and already I can name alot of Music/artists that are off the list. I would list them here. But the list is too long. and. Shameful.
One reason I'm even giving up alot of country music (did you get that, some of my country music I need to not listen to.) It doesn't go along with Philippians 4:8 and therefore I shouldn't think about such things.
Now I know that this world isn't perfect. And I'm tempted to say that I can let a few things slip. But no I can't. The Bible says, "Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking" that means not even a hint of filthiness. Its hard.
Music has a way of influencing us that we may not realize. When we listen to songs that put bad messages into our heads over and over it has an effect. It creeps in and effects the way we think. Alot of peoples excuse (including mine) for listening to songs like Apple Bottom Jeans is, "Well I just don't listen to the words." and here is what Worldliness says about it:
"Its not uncommon for Christians on Sunday mornings to worship Jesus for his substitutionary death on the cross, then sing songs during the week that exalt the sins he died for. We sing, "My chains are gone, I've been set free," then remain enslaved to lyrics that promote fornication, profanity, anger, godless pleasure, sensuality, and materialism. "From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, theses things ought not be so." (James 3:10) James is right. These things ought not be so. But when someone expresses a concern about song lyrics, we usually have a ready reply: "I don't even listen to the words, I don't know what they're saying."
"My response is, "Why not?" Christians of all people, should be asking what songs actually mean. We're to "do all to the glory of God" (1 Cor. 10:31). And if we "never" listen to the words attached to the music, we're training ourselves to tune out the content of songs and simply allow the music to affect us. That makes it all the more difficult to focus on the truths we sing on Sundays. We'll tend to be more influenced by the sound, beat, and tempo than the word of Christ we're proclaiming......
"...But over time the lyrics to songs can weaken our defenses, blur our discernment, and redirect our affection toward the world. Listening to music is never neutral, because our sinful hearts are involved." - Worldliness, chapter 3: God, My heart, and Music by Bob Kauflin.
Some people may think I'm going way over board with this. But how can I not? I'm so happy right now. So willing to give up these things that aren't pleasing to God. The only trouble I am having is with James Bond 007, since I grew up watching those movies.
But in the world we live in we have to be so super careful about what we let into our hearts.
So I'm letting Jesus get into my heart, changing the way I think. I also have to change my heart in order to change my thoughts.
Its a Heart thing. Its a God thing.
I just know I've been convicted by this. But I wanted to be. I want to live for God. Seriously.
Brandon asked me what came to mind when he said the word Love.. and I said God. Because God IS Love.
So today I give myself anew to God. Refreshing my commitment to him. Because I Love Him.
Comments
I am so thankful to see God's grace working in your life. Thanks for sharing this.
Love,
Mom
I don't thing you're going over board at all!
Emily