Preoccupied.
I wake up this morning, get dressed and get ready to dive head first into the day. But I hear something. I look around, wondering where the sound comes from. It's my Bible, laying on my bed. I hear it softly beckoning me to read its content. To be drench in its Words, but.... my day can't wait.
"Sorry God, I'm preoccupied with my world." I replied. Maybe tomorrow, I thought. Yeah, Tomorrow isn't too late.
Tomorrow comes.. But something interrupts my plan.
"Listen to this music," the world said in a smooth, friendly voice. "It'll make you feel better. It will help you when you're angry and when you heart aches. It can solve all your problems. Just listen to that beat and start to swing."
I sing along to every song. Dance to every beat.
But wait. Another quite but beautiful voice.
"That music is ok, but why not listen to joyful songs that lift up My name? Rejoicing in Me will give you a joy that will last unlike these songs whose lyrics only make you long for something you don't have."
My thoughts blow around in my head like a willow's branches being tossed in the wind. I know His music brings me joy, but the worlds music makes me dance.
"Sorry Jesus, but I'm preoccupied with my world."
"Come along," the world calls, " watch this movie with me."
"Ok, sure!" I replied all to eagerly.
In the back of my mind, hardly able to hear, That voice again small and faint, but I hear it.
"Course joking is out of place, all of the time." He said gracefully.
"Oh," the world replies,"but you know its funny, Beth."
"Yes it is really. Hilarious!" I said. "Sorry God, but I'm preoccupied with my world."
On and on the days go by.
Months pass by like the hours in a day.
Early morning I wake up so tempted to dread this day.
The world still lingers around wanting a chance...
"Hey you, why not come spend time with me? I can make you laugh and have fun. What do you say?"
"Sorry world. I'm preoccupied with my Jesus."
Romans 12:2
2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Ephesians 5:4
4Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.
"Sorry God, I'm preoccupied with my world." I replied. Maybe tomorrow, I thought. Yeah, Tomorrow isn't too late.
Tomorrow comes.. But something interrupts my plan.
"Listen to this music," the world said in a smooth, friendly voice. "It'll make you feel better. It will help you when you're angry and when you heart aches. It can solve all your problems. Just listen to that beat and start to swing."
I sing along to every song. Dance to every beat.
But wait. Another quite but beautiful voice.
"That music is ok, but why not listen to joyful songs that lift up My name? Rejoicing in Me will give you a joy that will last unlike these songs whose lyrics only make you long for something you don't have."
My thoughts blow around in my head like a willow's branches being tossed in the wind. I know His music brings me joy, but the worlds music makes me dance.
"Sorry Jesus, but I'm preoccupied with my world."
Days pass by like seconds in minutes.
"Come along," the world calls, " watch this movie with me."
"Ok, sure!" I replied all to eagerly.
In the back of my mind, hardly able to hear, That voice again small and faint, but I hear it.
"Course joking is out of place, all of the time." He said gracefully.
"Oh," the world replies,"but you know its funny, Beth."
"Yes it is really. Hilarious!" I said. "Sorry God, but I'm preoccupied with my world."
On and on the days go by.
I'm happy to be discontent and flirting with the world. Everything seems fine, but something is wrong. I don't know what, but something is not right. I had finally learned to shut that little voice out. Was that a good thing? Oh well, my world with make me laugh again.
Months pass by like the hours in a day.
But.. Something is still not right. I feel empty. Like the past few months have been wasted. I want something more. Something more than this world can offer, something that will last...
"Come with me," the world breaks in the flow of my thoughts. "I'll make it ok."
"I don't know," I replied, "you seem so... pointless. So without meaning, a waste of time."
"Yes, maybe. But what else are you going to do?"
"Spend your time with Me." That quite but powerful voice broke through.
"How? I feel so far away." I asked distressed.
But the world isn't done yet. "You don't need Him, I can satisfy all your longings, just give me one more chance, you'll see."
"This world could never bring you that joy and peace that I freely give to my children." Jesus said.
"Peace, joy," my voice sounded relieved, "I'd like that... but how?"
I was slowly beginning to feel the truth in His words. Real truth. Joy, Satisfaction in Him. Really? Yes. I think so.
"Just read My Word. Become devoted to Me. You can't do it alone, but don't worry, I'll always be there with you." His voice so warm and gentle.. patient even.
I rushed to my room, found my Bible and started flipping through pages wondering where I would end up. Finally I stopped and the first verse I saw:
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."
It hit me then. As I read those words that the world has no lasting happiness or peace.
"Oh, Lord. How foolish I am!" I cried, "Please forgive for ever holding these things above you!"
"You're already forgiven, my child." I could hear the smile in His words.
"Thank You." A grateful smile swept over my wet face.
Months go by much faster than I realized.
"Come with me," the world breaks in the flow of my thoughts. "I'll make it ok."
"I don't know," I replied, "you seem so... pointless. So without meaning, a waste of time."
"Yes, maybe. But what else are you going to do?"
"Spend your time with Me." That quite but powerful voice broke through.
"How? I feel so far away." I asked distressed.
But the world isn't done yet. "You don't need Him, I can satisfy all your longings, just give me one more chance, you'll see."
"This world could never bring you that joy and peace that I freely give to my children." Jesus said.
"Peace, joy," my voice sounded relieved, "I'd like that... but how?"
I was slowly beginning to feel the truth in His words. Real truth. Joy, Satisfaction in Him. Really? Yes. I think so.
"Just read My Word. Become devoted to Me. You can't do it alone, but don't worry, I'll always be there with you." His voice so warm and gentle.. patient even.
I rushed to my room, found my Bible and started flipping through pages wondering where I would end up. Finally I stopped and the first verse I saw:
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."
It hit me then. As I read those words that the world has no lasting happiness or peace.
"Oh, Lord. How foolish I am!" I cried, "Please forgive for ever holding these things above you!"
"You're already forgiven, my child." I could hear the smile in His words.
"Thank You." A grateful smile swept over my wet face.
Months go by much faster than I realized.
I'm satisfied with my Jesus. I love Him and He loves me.
Early morning I wake up so tempted to dread this day.
The world still lingers around wanting a chance...
"Hey you, why not come spend time with me? I can make you laugh and have fun. What do you say?"
"Sorry world. I'm preoccupied with my Jesus."
Romans 12:2
2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Ephesians 5:4
4Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.
Titus 3:8
"8... And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone."
Comments
I saw the link for your blog on your facebook page and decided to check it out. :)
Girl-not only are you are an amazing writer, but thats seriously one of the most encouraging things I've read in a while! Your heart for your Prince is incredible & beautiful! I wish i knew you a lot better...and that I had more friends like you! A teenage girl who is so in love with her Savior is hard to come by! "Sorry world, I'm preoccupied with my Jesus." That's gotta go on my list of favorite quotes that I've heard! :D I know that God is going to use you in incredible ways for his kingdom! Keep being the amazing light for Jesus that you are! I love you girl!!! <3
love, your sister in Christ,
Catherine :)